We feel the best way to approach the prophet Joseph Smith Jr. is to know God’s mandate, as recorded in the Bible. That way, both the believer and non-believer may have a ruler by which they can measure the work he was called to do.
This prophecy is found in Isaiah 29:
9. Stay yourselves, and wonder; cry ye out, and cry: they are drunken, but not with
wine; they stagger, but not with strong drink.
10. For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed
your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.
11. And the vision of all (Fullness of the Gospel) is become
unto you as the words of a book (Book of Mormon) that is sealed (Unknown language), which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed (Need interpreters.):
12. And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned. (Joseph Smith, Jr.)
13. Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:
14. Therefore, behold, I (The Father) will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.
15. Woe unto them that seek deep to hide their counsel from the LORD, and their works are in the dark, and they say, Who seeth us? and who knoweth us?
16. Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter’s clay: for shall
the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding?
17. Is it not yet a very little while, and Lebanon shall be turned into a fruitful field, and the fruitful field shall be esteemed as a forest?
18. And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness. (Spiritual confusion.)
19. The meek also shall increase their joy in the LORD, and the poor among men shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel. (The pure in heart will gladly accept more truth.)
20. For the terrible one is brought to nought, and the scorner is consumed, and all that watch for iniquity are cut off:
21. That make a man an offender for a word, and lay a snare for him that reproveth in the gate, and turn aside the just for a thing of nought.
22. Therefore thus saith the LORD, who redeemed Abraham, concerning the house of Jacob, Jacob shall not now be ashamed, neither shall his face now wax pale. (The Jews)
23. But when he (Jacob) seeth his children, the work of mine hands, in the midst of him, they shall sanctify my name, and sanctify the Holy One of Jacob, and shall fear the God of Israel.
24. They also that erred in spirit shall come to understanding, and they that murmured shall learn doctrine. (The truth will unite them.) (Isaiah 29)
What was Joseph Smith called to do? To bring forth a book. What was The Book supposed to do?
- Clarify Doctrine
- Strengthen Jacob, the House of Israel, the Jews
- Unify the believers
The purpose of this site is to show how well Joseph Smith fulfilled that call and how well The Book of Mormon fulfilled its purpose.